Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cloth Diaper Adventure

I always wanted to try cloth diapers with Isabelle and Joseph, but I didn't know anyone else that used them.  I was unsure about them and so we just used disposables and that was fine.  I did quickly realize diaper genies were a waste of time and money for our family.  They just made huge diaper sausage links!  Disgusting!  Although, the time the dog found it, she thought it was great!  Are you barfing yet???

Anyway, people have asked how it's going with the cloth diaper adventure, what we use and how it works.  I decided to write about what I've discovered and what I'm liking right now.

A good decade has passed by since our oldest two were born and in that amount of time more people are using cloth.  


Source
 

It is a new and confusing world when you first start to investigate cloth. I went on the Diaper Pin forum to educate myself.  There are still traditional flats and pre-folds with pull on covers.  This is the least expensive and easiest in the laundry.  Those still work great and the old fashioned pull ons are now colorful. I might even have to buy one!  Cloth diapering is actually addicting!
 
I  like the pre-folds snappied with a wrap cover. (I actually do have diaper pins, but snappies are what I use.) When babies get older and start eating you can just tri-fold the diaper and lay it in a wrap cover.  So easy! Here is how it works. I also discovered fitteds. Here and here.  The ones I like are pre-folds that are made into the shape of a disposable style diaper. Then you put a cover over them.  

Then there are AIO (all in one).  These are diapers with the cover sewn on them.  These are the most expensive and they take more time in the laundry.  They function the most like a disposable.  I have never had one, but apparently they are great for out and about and also for Dad's and Grandparents.  A very popular one is Bum Genius.

My personal favorite right now are fitteds with a wrap cover.  Once Samuel starts to eat and doesn't have all the runny breastfed poo, then a tri-folded pre-fold under a wrap style cover will be good too!

Source unknown, but I know those are Bummis Super Brite covers
 


There are a few little accessories that were confusing to me at first.  Doublers:  Just a narrow piece of cloth diaper to lay in the diaper to add absorbency.  You can also lay in a rice paper liner and flush that piece as long as you don't have a septic tank.  I might try that when he's older and we are out and about.  I use cotton diapers.  There are also microfiber, hemp and bamboo.  Some people use a fleece layer in the diaper for a stay dry feeling for the baby.  I have one that I use sometimes. I might get more as he gets older.  It is very inexpensive to do.

Wool covers are nice.  They are also expensive.  I would still like a couple of them though. Here and here.

My biggest frustration has been that Samuel has grown so fast.  I went back and had a look at Joseph's growth during his first year and it is the same, so I now know what the growth pattern is likely to be and can plan for it.  Samuel has just grown through the different sizes of cloth so quickly.
Thankfully, pre-folds are relatively inexpensive.  I was afraid of flats and never bought them, but honestly they are not hard at all.  You can easily see a you tube of how to fold them.  They are very inexpensive and would grow easily with the baby.

Right now Samuel is between sizes and is using disposables while I collect some fitteds and covers.  He genereally uses a disposable at night too. 

That's about it for diapers! 

No comments: